Friday, February 6, 2009

Fiat Lux (except that not really)


And then the lights went out. Just like that. Light, I am told, tends to move incredibly fast so when it stops it feels kind of weird. Although mostly it feels kind of dark. Madame Red was gone to New York and I was on my own. Sitting on the couch, I was thinking about what I could do without the electricity?
Well, not much, it turns out.
I mean it’s not like I could check my mail. Or read a book. Or listen to some music. Or watch TV. Or cook. Or shave, even.
I must have fallen asleep listing all the things that I couldn’t do because at some stage my phone rang and it felt like the middle of the night. It was the City of Los Angeles Water and Power Department, they were downstairs waiting for me to let them in. Which I did promptly as I thought they actually were the LAPD (and one thing one doesn’t have after spending the whole evening alone in the dark is an alibi).
Me and the LAWPD, we looked for the meter for a while but when we found it there was nothing they could for me. So I went back to bed, again listing all the things that I was not going to be able to do: watch a film on the laptop, play a little sudoku, buy yet another loser for my fantasy football team. It was 2:15 am. And I soon realized that there was one more thing I could add to my list of no-can-dos: go back to sleep.

The only thing you don’t need the electricity for.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And if you had electricity what would you have cooked? Houmus? Heheh... I thought I bought Luke Young this week for my team, turns out I got a Wigan defender... wish I had a power cut when I made that choice

The Major said...

Yeah, reminds me of that time I bought Luke Young myself except I thought he was Ashley Young.