Sunday, February 10, 2008

Salt and pepper

A few white hairs appeared in my beard this weekend. They showed up just like that, no permission asked, without giving a damn what I could be thinking about them. Of course they’re not bragging right now, they’re keeping to themselves in their little corner. But you can’t lie to me, I know exactly what it all means. The message is clear, no one can win this fight.
So all that's left to do is stand with pride – not to throw too many punches in the air, not to argue with the windmills.
I’m not too sure how to do that yet, but I’ve got some time ahead of me. So far the only thing I know is that the answers can’t all be found in books, that it’s probably not enough to get down on your knees and scoop them out of the mud.
But I know they do exist somewhere.
Then I look at my dad, my dad and his white beard. I look at this man who quietly goes along and the path, suddenly, seems much safer.

10 comments:

Pedro said...

Hello foe...

I am allowed to talk to you again now that the weekend has passed us by...
Christ, what a game Major...
Clerc is probably the best rugby player in the world right now...
Amazing.

Anonymous said...

Woah, woah, woah... they're only appearing now?!?

A few weeks back I was shocked to find some had crept onto my head. The war between greying and balding has started - it's hard to give odds on who will win that battle at these early stages.

But the real shock was that I too noticed a few white bad boys jumping in on my stubble last week. I'd struggle to grow a beard... and now this...

Pedro said...

You're not getting off that easy Major - I'll still pop up on here and annoy you on your own blog man!
;)

Anonymous said...

There are worse places to find a grey hair let me assure you...

Anonymous said...

Oh my god ! you'll be still more spell

Jayne said...

ps I know this is very sad of me but I want the salt and pepper shakers in your pic here. Any idea where they're from?

The Major said...

Gi: Hum, I'm not sure what you meant...

Jayne: apparently they're called Twist & Shout salt and pepper shakers from Michael Lambert. And they're not even $60. A bargain.

Dar: yep, they're pretty much my first ones. No need to say, balding won the race.

Anonymous said...

I want to say more charming, but why not spell?

The Major said...

Ah ok!! Un spell est un charme en effet, mais plutot comme un charme que les fées lancent. Un sort, quoi.
But thank you anyway.

Jayne said...

Thanks Major! Am off to the giant shopping mall that is Teh Internet.